Office Manager (Full-Time)
The Burlington Performing Arts Centre
The Burlington Performing Arts Centre (BPAC) is a vibrant, Gold LEED Certified venue, a presenter, a cultural developer, an educator and a community hub. The facility features a 720-seat Main Stage; a 165-seat Community Studio Theatre; a bright and spacious Family Lobby and an outdoor Plaza. BPAC presents a diverse season of professional entertainment, featuring over 70 performances each year in every genre, as well an Education Series, festivals, workshops and community engagement events. BPAC is also a rental facility, working with local community groups, promoters, dance competitions, corporate events and more.
The Office Manager acts as The Burlington Performing Arts Centre’s (‘BPAC’) lead on all financial administration, budgeting and HR administration. The incumbent reports directly to the Executive Director and liaises with the Board of Directors and BPAC staff. Duties include general accounting, financial forecasting, operations accounting, tax compliance, budget preparation, cash management and charitable receipting. This role also performs executive assistant duties for the Executive Director.
- Responsible for the day to day financial activities of the organization including payables, invoicing and receipt of revenues. Takes or recommends corrective action as needed. Makes any necessary adjustments in SAP
- Prepares monthly financial statements for BPAC’s Executive Director and Board
- Responsible for the preparation, monitoring and enforcement of financial policies, procedures and internal financial controls
- Works with the Executive Director to prepare annual budget including input to SAP and obtaining Board and Council approvals
- Monitors and aids with all BPAC’s financial concerns, including but not limited to operating and capital budgets, and special project and events budgets
- Monitors expenditures and cash flows against budget and prepares forecasts on an on-going basis.
- On a monthly basis reconciles balance sheet accounts, admissions revenues between SAP and TixHub, and project revenues from records to SAP
- Liaises with the City of Burlington and the external auditors on BPAC’s financial matters
- At year-end, prepares draft annual financial statements in good form and acts as liaison with auditors to obtain an unconditional audit opinion. Follows through with the Executive Director to obtain Audit Committee and Board approval of the audited statements and auditor’s management letter.
- Responsible for timely payment and tracking of all artist fees per artist contracts
- Responsible for reconciling, by individual presenting series performance, admissions revenues versus artist costs and related technical and front of house expenses
- Maintains and consolidates various statistical information for BPAC’s operations including but not limited to rental and ticket sales data.
- Prepares annual reporting as required such as Charitable Donations Return and T4A-NR slips
- Serves as a resource to staff and Board on financial and business planning matters
- Serves as Executive Assistant to Executive Director by taking minutes at board meetings, assisting with grant report backs, administration of staff purchase cards, benefits and pension plan management, tracking staff attendance, updating signing authority as required, handling mail and other duties as required.
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, with emphasis on finance, accounting and planning course work or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 10 years experience in accounting and finance responsibilities, with 5 or more of those years within a not-for-profit environment, preferably in the cultural sector
- 2 years experience with SAP computerized accounts
- CPA designation, although not required, would be an asset
- General not-for-profit administration
- Strategic planning and financial analysis
- Not-for-profit accounting principles and auditing standards
- Financial implications of taxation, investments, cash management, insurance, benefit and pension plan administration
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with SAP computerized accounts
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel spreadsheets
- Understanding of Board relations and governance, and ability to communicate effectively with Board and Staff
- Solid interpersonal skills with a high level of professionalism, and the ability to foster positive working relationships
Hours of Work
Full-time salaried position, based on 35 hours per week.
Commensurate with experience, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
PLEASE SEND covering letter and curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference ‘Office Manager’ in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Applications must be received by 5 p.m. on Monday, November 9th, 2020. We thank all applicants, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Burlington Performing Arts Centre is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to an inclusive environment for all employees, volunteers, patrons and artists.